Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Hanging out in Mpigi...

Hello from Mpigi, Uganda!

So, this is my second week here in Mpigi…and I am enjoying being back here. Culture shock hit me a bit harder this trip than it has in previous years, but I am starting to adjust to life here! The biggest challenge for me is letting go of my need to fill every second of time…I am learning to just be, which is surprisingly difficult at times!

I have also been spending lots of time playing with the kids on the property…they often seek me out and request, “Rebekah, game!” We have been playing the card game Memory quite a bit, as well as some dominoes…they love it! They will play for hours at a time…it is great!

Here are some pictures of the kids (they love the camera!)



Christine is one of the younger girls here. Last year she was pretty quiet and reserved, but now she is chatty and playful and is even learning a few English words!
















Wasswa and Kato are identical twins who are tons of fun. They have been living in the Children’s homes since the first home opened, and it has been great to watch them grow over the years. They are much less clingy now (some of you who have been here before may remember that about them), and they are always talking and laughing and wrestling, like brothers do!




Sandy is another one of the little guys here…he is a character, and has a pretty constant pout unless he is the centre of attention! I caught a smile in this picture…












That’s all for now…hope you enjoyed the pictures! Take care!

(oh, and Cheryl...definitely no Jungle Oats for me...right now, my breakfast of choice is Fruit Loops;)

1 comment:

LeeAnn said...

I realize you have no idea who I am...I happened upon your blog while searching for some Lugandan words because I am headed to Uganda in July for 3 weeks to work with the Music for Life (African Childrens Choir) kids. How wonderful to read about your experiences and to see the photos of the kids! I can't wait to get there and see it all first-hand. Many blessings to you.
LeeAnn in Austin, TX
P.S. Do you know the words for "father", "mother", "brothers" in Lugandan? ;-)