Thursday, March 04, 2010

Haiti - where to begin?

Over the past two weeks I have seen and experienced so much...and I'm not sure I'm ready to put all those experience to words just yet. So, I will start with some pictures...


Signs like this are all over the place. Many of the smaller IDP (internally displaced people) camps will post one, and the cell number is usually for one of the camp leaders.


The plants still growing on the porch of this house/hotel stuck out to me...


Collapsed building, market stall...


An IDP camp...most of the tents in this camp are made of sheets and sticks, with the occasional tarp. (I'll post more on IDP camps later...)

Soldier, public transit (Haiti style) and UN trucks. There is a pretty heavy military and United Nations (UN) presence in parts of Port-au-Prince right now - lots of military vehicles and blue helmets (UN soldiers) driving around.

More pictures and thoughts to come...

1 comment:

alisha said...

Wow. So overwhelming, huh? I'm glad you're back safe and I'm looking forward to reading your stories and reflections. :)