Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Critters...

Bugs, and big ones at that, are a part of traveling to a more tropical climate.  (Although, it is worth noting that bugs are a part of my life at home too...I think my sister killed over 40 spiders in the first two weeks she lived in my apartment). 

Mosquitoes are plentiful here in Dhaka (and they love me), so I sleep under a mosquito net. Thankfully, they don't carry malaria. Cockroaches are also plentiful - they mostly live in our kitchen, but I also have a fairly large cockroach family living in the cracks and crevices in my bathroom.  There are so many that it is usually not worth killing them - more just emerge from the cracks.  It's a bit of a losing battle.  However, I have learned that you have to kill them carefully, or you have a really big mess to clean up afterward!  I think it is really funny when the cockroaches are "hiding" in holes in the sink, but you can still see their antennae sticking out and moving around...reminds me of when little kids play hide and seek! (you know, when they just can't quite get themselves fully hidden even though they think they are!)

Here are a couple of my bathroom cockroaches...these are some smallish ones...



There are also some impressive spiders in Bangladesh - they are huge!  I've seen one big spider in my house which I just pretended didn't exist and I've never seen it again, but the really big spiders can be seen close up in Lawacherra Rainforest (the same place I saw the gibbons and got leeches on my feet)!

Here's a couple of pictures - they were pretty cool to look at because you could see their body parts in so much detail!  In this first one you can see the bug the spider had killed and wrapped up (beside it in the web).  This picture is of the spider's underside.
Here's another shot...


And, one more, just because!!

2 comments:

Elise said...

Rebekah. While I don't mind the pictures of the cockroaches, the spider pictures were clearly unnecessary. To the enth degree. Meanwhile the count in your apartment is now at 57.

The rainy summer we're having? ENTIRELY my fault.

Bekah said...

Sorry Elise...should have put a disclaimer in the title! Makes the spiders in my place look small, though...right?? Thanks for keeping my place spider-free!