Monday, May 28, 2007

Getting stuff done...

Things are well underway here on the 10 acres! My time here kicked off with church on Sunday morning, which apparently had way more people than normal and much more energy because I was there... And of course, during the service, I had to get up and bring greetings from Peace Portal Alliance to the church in Mpigi. Michael then told the community that I now have a new name - Masawa Rebekah, which means nurse Rebekah in Lugandan. I was hoping to keep a lower profile than that in these first few weeks, but that's not the way it goes here!

Today, we have hired a few people to finish the construction inside the medical clinic...we are adding a wall, some shelves, a light, and a table/bench. I am staying in the medical clinic, so now my bedroom has turned into construction zone with people in and out regularly! Things don't happen slowly here...once we say that we need something built, someone shows up on the property within about 15 minutes and is ready to start work within the hour. Today, the light has already been installed and the wall will be complete before dark.

I also took a boda into town and met with the doctor who will likely be working in the clinic, and we had a very positive meeting - he seems very thorough, and very personable. Tomorrow I am going to meet with some of the women of Mpigi and have a discussion with them about health in their community...this information will help as we plan the clinic.

So that's a little update on how things are going!! I am getting used to sleeping with geckos and mice and spiders running around my room, and I am also starting to get used to the noise of Uganda...the birds, bugs, and other wildlife make much more noise at night than you would think! I am hopeful that tonight I will just see geckos and spiders, as one of the guys working on the property killed a snake that contained the mouse that lives in the medical clinic (or so I choose to believe!!)

Sorry, no pictures...and unfortunately, no facebook...the internet connection doesn't really allow for that! Hopefully I can upload some pictures when I go into Kampala on Wednesday or Thursday. Take care, and I would love to hear from you by email!

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

Awesome...I'll be checking out your blog quite often I'm sure. Good luck with all that is ahead!

elaine said...

Hi Bekah...we are so happy to hear you arrived safely... i am assuming 'without incident' means with all your bags this time...i will be checking the blog daily and, of course, dad & i will be praying often...much love to you, mom

Grandma said...

Hello Rebekah Glad you arrived safely and are hard at work, seems that you will not be bored. Grandpa says that he has a new tel No. SKY-high hope that he not planning to leave us soon. Love you.

Scott said...

proud of you, bekah. lots of love! miss you already.