Tuesday, June 12, 2007

It's been a while!

Hello from Uganda! It's been a while since I have had a chance to post anything...it's been a busy week for sure! I spent Tuesday and Wednesday of last week in Kampala showing a group of UBC students around, and I also had a chance to meet with the head of the school of nursing at Makerere University. Then, on Friday, I went to Kampala with Jeff, Shannon and kids to relax, see the source of the Nile River (and a crocodile), and to watch Brent bungee jump!! The picture above is me and Brent on the boat that took us to see the source of the Nile. (the source of the Nile is where Lake Victoria meets the Nile River, which is actually much less impressive than it sounds! But you can't go to Jinja without going to see it!) In Jinja, we also visited Amani Baby Cottage, which is an orphanage for babies and toddlers. I almost took this little guy home with me...so cute!!


Now I am back in Mpigi, getting the medical clinic ready to go. Yesterday I went into Kampala and bought over a million shillings worth of medications and medical supplies, and today I have been trying to get it all organized...it has been a lot of work, but I'm making progress!

I am definitely getting used to the bugs and other creatures here, but these bugs are taking some time to get used to!! (especially since they look more like a crab than a bug!!) They frequently hang out by the medical centre, which is where I sleep, and this morning one joined me in the shower! Good times...the geckos no longer bother me...one is running around the ceiling above my head as I type, and I am still sitting here, so I am definitely making progress:)
So that's a little bit about what I have been up to this past week! I really appreciate your prayers and your emails/comments on facebook...even if I don't get a chance to respond, I love hearing from you! The team from Peace Portal arrives on Saturday, so you can be praying for them as they prepare and travel over here. Take care, and I will be in touch!

4 comments:

Sara said...

See you in a few days!!!

Graham said...

Hey Bekah,

Sounds like things are going well in the 'frica. I will keep praying for you and I look forward to hearing more about the trip when you get back.

Jen said...

Thanks for all the updates! Glad to hear that things are going well and that you're nice enough to share your shower with the bugs. I'll be prayin' for you and the team.

Your Livin it Up teamate.

Scott said...

hey, if its not too hard, could you ship a gecko back for my room (need more things above MY head when i type) LOVE YOU B-bekah! you are awesome! and i leave in a week.