Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Hello from Kampala!

Hello from Kampala! I'm here showing a group of students from UBC around, and tomorrow morning I am going to meet with the head of the school of nursing at Makerere University here in Kampala. This post will be short, because I only have about 12 more minutes on this computer!

Yesterday was an eventful day...I went with Michael to visit the district director of health services in Mpigi, and by the end of the day the deputy director and the health inspector had come to the 10 acres to see the clinic building. This is a key step in having our clinic registered with the district, and getting Ministry of Health support for our activities. I also met with Andrew, one of the doctors who we will be working with for the clinic days in a couple of weeks, and we got a lot of planning done. Now I just need to order the supplies and drugs that we will need.

Yesterday evening, we had a hilarious time going through some medical supplies that some Finnish doctor donated to Michael a while ago. In the supplies was this old army bed/stretcher, which was all in pieces. So there I am with six Ugandans trying to figure out how this old piece of equipment goes together...it was really funny (okay, I guess you had to have been there:) The bed is very functional, but it looks like it comes straight out of MASH...quite funny:)

So that's a little bit about what I have been up to since my last post! Sorry, no pictures this time...I left my transfer cable back in Mpigi! Take care!

1 comment:

Grandma said...

Hello Rebekah: Three strikes and you're out! This message I can't seem to get to go through. I love reading your blog and living your experiences second hand. God bless Ps.91:11. Jeannie, Rick, Turbo, David, Grandpa and I went to Victoria to see the Titanic display. Very interesting.
Love Grandma